2022 saw some exciting outcomes with significant delivery highlights across a range of areas as well as considerable collaboration, engagement and advocacy opportunities across our Member Councils, regional networks, community groups and all levels of government.
See our delivery highlights for the 2021-2022 Financial year below!
With the launch of our new Hunter JO Strategic Plan 2032 and the Hunter JO Advocacy Framework, which signifies the first regionally agreed policy and advocacy agenda, we have significantly increased Local Government’s capability and capacity to seek the best possible outcomes for its communities.
We were engaged on 41 regional and intergovernmental committees and networks, 12 of which are convened directly by the Hunter JO. A diverse range of political engagements were undertaken throughout the year with Ministers, Shadow Ministers of specified portfolios and Local Members. We also hosted and delivered nearly 30 regionally significant events.
We were involved in a number of key regional advocacy initiatives, and for the first time, have developed a Regional Advocacy Framework identifying the agreed priorities of the ten democratically elected Mayors. Specific advocacy campaigns have also included:
- Hunter Global: Our International Future
- Connectivity – Advocacy on integrated transport planning, delivery, and funding
- Federal Election Advocacy
- Joint Statement – Hunter Region Mayors call for more disaster support
- Hunter JO Advocacy Framework and Priorities
We also prepared a diverse range of formal regional submissions over the year, including:
- End to Transitional Arrangements under the NSW Coastal Management Act (2016)
- NSW Regional Housing Taskforce Submission and Taskforce Report Key Findings
- NSW Infrastructure Contributions Bill
- IPART review of domestic waste management service charges
- Draft Hunter Regional Plan 2041
- NSW Environmental Planning & Assessment Regulation
- Draft Hunter Regional Transport Plan
Our commitment to collaboration and local leadership within the Hunter JO is interwoven throughout each of our programs and projects, and our Annual Performance Statement 2021-2022 demonstrates what that vision can deliver for our region.
To read more about our collaboration and engagement throughout 2022, check out our Annual Performance Statement 2021-2022.