The Hunter Region has experienced some challenging times over recent years – drought, bushfires, erosion and COVID-19. These challenges have provided us with the opportunity to understand the impacts these events have created (individually and cumulatively) and work alongside our Member Councils and their communities to communicate and collaborate more effectively. Also highlighted has been the need to prepare strong frameworks around disasters and ensure the Hunter’s resilience during the more difficult times.
Hunter Joint Organisation has collaborated with 11 partner councils, combat agencies, communication experts and the ABC to explore the challenges faced by Councils in the region when it comes to communicating about disasters. As a result, a Disaster Communications Planning Framework has been developed to guide Councils through key communication resources and structures that assist with preparing to communicate in a disaster situation. An additional toolkit has also been developed to help Council Comms teams get started in their communication response. This work has been funded under the joint State and Commonwealth Natural Disaster Resilience Program.
You can review and download a copy of the framework here
For more information contact:
Siobhan Isherwood, Program Coordinator, P 4978 4028
M 0429 564 111, E email@example.com
This work has been funded under the joint State and Commonwealth Natural Disaster Resilience Program.
The package available to Councils includes:
A. The Local Disaster Communication Planning Framework
This framework steps through a communication strategy and helps to answer questions such as:
- How do we build and prepare our Disaster Communication Team?
- How can we communicate in ways that are most likely to be understood and trusted?
- What can we do now to make it easier for us during and after a disaster event?
B. The Disaster Communication Team toolkit for planning ahead and use on the day:
1. Work and Information Flowchart
2. Disaster Communication Team – Rapid Reference Tool
• a mobile optimised guide to each DCT role – put it onto your phone or tablet
3. Communication Team List
• keep your team names and contacts up to date
4. Context Report Template
• a tool to share important contextual information with your team
5. Messaging Strategy Template
• a template to help you construct messages which can achieve your objectives
6. Key Messaging Tool
• message fragments to sign off prior to an event, to help you deal with difficult and sensitive communication challenges